Becoming a breeder with the MGBA

To become an MGBA-registered Miniature Goat Breeder

1. Contact your local Department of Primary Industries and obtain your PIC number for your property
(property identification code)
2. Hold an ordinary membership with the MGBA.  
3. Obtain a stud Prefix
(you need your PIC for the application)

Once this is completed you are now able to register goats. The next step as a breeder to comply with state requirements and MGBA rules is

Order a waybill for your stud -
for movement of animals to and from your property including vets, shows, sales.
Order your ear tags -
For animal identification.
Visit the MGBA registration Website to familiarise yourself with registration topics and contacts HERE link can be found on the top menu bar on the main MGBA site.

Details below can be found for each of these topis.

PIC NUMBER (property Identification Code)

A number attached to your property address that is allocated by your local Department of Primary Industry (DPI) and is needed if you are going to keep more than a few livestock on your property. This number stays with your property when you sell. Your property may already have one allocated. This is a State requirement in place by the Livestock Industry and is used to identify your property for keeping and movement of livestock. Fines may apply by your state if you do not comply. Your PIC as a breeder is used on all documentation and identification for your animals including waybills and ear tags.

How to get one? Contact your local Department of Primary Industry to see if you property has one allocated or to set one up.

MEMBERSHIP- See details on Membership page as well as application form.


Your Stud Prefix (Name of Stud) is for your exclusive use. It will precede the names of the animals you register. When applying for a stud prefix, you are required to submit two (2) different names in order of preference - we will make every effort to allocate you with your first choice unless that name has already been registered or is deemed unsuitable. Once a Stud name has been registered your Prefix is exclusive and may not be used for new Animal Registrations by other Members.

Eligablity - To be eligible to obtain a Stud Prefixes an ordinary membership (full breeder membership) is required.  This can be done at the same time as you apply for membership or you may apply at a later date if you decide you would like to breed.

Cost - A Stud Prefix will cost a once only fee of $30.00 - this fee is not an annual or renewable fee. 

Terms of Use - Stud registration may only be used when ordinary membership is held. Once approved your stud prefix is yours to use and advertise whilst you are a financial breeder member of the MGBA. Should your breeder membership lapse or you don’t renew your membership you are not permitted to advertise that you have a miniature goat stud registered with the MGBA as this would not be correct. Should you continue to advertise with your stud prefix out of membership and you later apply to rejoin the MGBA, acceptance is unlikely.


All animals must have an ear tag number allocated for MGBA registration and ear tags must be in ears before they leave your property as part of state legislation. PIC number and if desired ear tag numbers will be listed on your property waybill for identification. Pygmy and Dwarf goats require Micro chipping for registration purposes only. This can done by your vet. This is not part of State legislation.

National Livestock identification System - Click for NLIS website. National Livestock Identification System (NLIS)
The National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) is Australia's system for identification and traceability of livestock from property of birth to all movements in the animals life. This assists with identifying outbreaks of disease.Goats must be identified with an NLIS visual or RFID ear tag before they leave the property on which they were born (exemptions may apply for dairy, show, feral or unmanaged goats in some states). A ear tag will be printed with your PIC number and a consecutive number.

How to get them? Tags can be purchased from online stores ( Google search for NLIS goat tags) or your local produce store. You will need to apply to DPI for a ear tag form in most states before you can order tags. Please not that your ear tags MUST be complient with the National Livestock identification System .

WAYBILL- Click for website LPA National Vendor Declaration and Waybill (LPA NVD/Waybill)
Is a document that is printed by the Department of Primary Industry and is required to be filled in and travel with all livestock. Whether to another PIC (property identification number), the local park, the vet , for outside services or travel to new homes, a WAYbill is the DPI's way to track diseases back to individual properties in event of an outbreak. A WAYbill book will normally be printed with your PIC (Property Identification Number) and comes in a large book with triplicate copies (one for your record, one for the person transporting and one for the person receiving the animal on their stud). WAYbills must be kept for a number of years as a record of movement.

How to get one? Contact your states local Department of Primary Industry at the same time of once you have a PIC number for your property.

It is a legal requirement to send a waybill (movement document see above) with goats that leave properties. The department of primary Industry does audit properties and as a buyer with a PIC yourself you MUST have your own evidence of movement on and off your property or YOU and the breeder risk being given a fine for illegal movement of animals without a waybill.

If you are buying goats.....Make sure ahead of time that your seller will have this available on the day for you, if they do not have a waybill or will not give you one, you may want to reconsider picking up your purchase at a later time one can be organised. If animals are being delivered with a transport company and a waybill is not given with the goat and they are pulled up or checked at the border crossing when spraying animals they may be forced to turn around and return the goats meaning out of pocket costs to you.

A seller can jump online anytime and download an emergency waybill if they do not have one.

IMPORTANT ***** If you are moving goats from someone else's property ( purchasing) You are not allowed to fill in your own waybill dedicated for your property just because it is in your name for movement of animals you have bought or are transporting. Each waybill for animals you pick or have on transport must come from the PROPERTY OR ORIGINS printed Waybill where the goats are leaving from.

Also remember you could be audited by the DPI at any time and will need to produce ALL movement records of goats to your property.


As a breeder who registers animals, you will receive a parentage / height verification certificate for each animal registered. This certificate offers future purchasers of your stock a standard, official document that contains up to three generations of parentage, height and type data. This certificate is the seller’s proof of pedigree and should bring you a premium sale price above stock sold without one.

It is your responsibility to check that NLIS ear tags, correspond with what is recorded on the animal’s registration papers. This is essential, as incorrect or non-existent identification may revoke registration status of the animal(s). Discrepancies must be reported to the Registrar for correction, as soon as possible.

If you have one or more goats (or other livestock), it is a legal requirement to register your property with the Department of Primary Industries (in your State).

IDENTIFICATION: all animals must carry an NLIS ear tag.
Application to register/transfer will only be accepted when an animal has an individual tag number listed. e.g: each goat has its own unique number as well as your PIC number printed on the tag.
Contact a DPI Office in your State for correct details regarding National Livestock Identification System.

Please ensure that you read and understand the MGBA Code of Ethics which will advise you of your responsibilities as a breeder member of the MGBA.

More information about being a new breeder can be found under each breed specific page under "new breeders guide" link on the breeds menu bar.

Contact us | View site map